Skip to main content

Family Vacay Dinners

So keeping with tradition we did some cooking on our vacation in Destin, Florida last week so we didn't have to eat out every night.  

This is great when your vacationing with large groups and staying in a place with a kitchen, whether it be a house or a condo.  We always make a big trip to the grocery store the first night and usually only need to venture back for small items.  It works pretty well.  And honestly, I'm someone who doesn't necessarily like to eat out all the time so it's nice for that reason too.

Also, since I'm a vegetarian, I'll add notes for how we made each meal veggie friendly.  

Saturday night - pizza night 
As everyone arrives, this just seems easiest.

Sunday night - Jeff & Greta grilled
They got hamburger meat from the store and brought some unique brats from a place in Savannah.  They also had baked beans (veggie version).  Ending with s'mores, of course.
vegetarian alternative You may want to check if this is an enjoyable option for your vegetarian, but I asked them to grill a portobello mushroom for me.  I still put it on a bun and added toppings.  I like mushrooms a lot and I'm the only vegetarian so purchasing a pack of veggie burgers does not really make sense.  I was very happy with my "burger."

We don't want to forget our "Bridesmaid's Punch" we made after dinner.  Greta pinned a bunch of drink recipes so she, Karen, & I picked one.  It was basically Sprite, Moscato, and pink lemonade, garnished with strawberries.  Pretty delicious my friends.  But more importantly, fun!

Monday night - Jeff & Greta burritos
Greta made a black bean mixture for all the burritos and added chicken and cheese before wrapping it in a tortilla and warming it in a skillet.  Served with sour creme and pico de gallo.  We had fruit salad and corn salsa on the side.  She also made a delicious lemon, golden oreo dessert.
vegetarian alternative no chicken in the one burrito
kid version cheese quesadilla 

Tuesday night - Crab Trap
This place was super kid friendly, with a playground out back on the beach for kids to play on while they wait for their table.  Then their meals come with a sand bucket and shovel.  Nice touch.
Not so vegetarian friendly, but that is to be expected at a seafood restaurant.  Good thing I like salads.
Everyone else really enjoyed their dishes!  Greta said it was one of the best meals she's had in a while.  Not to mention our waiter, Tom, really made the experience great.  
Everyone walked out happy.

Wednesday afternoon - My corn and zucchini tacos
I used this recipe as a guide.  Jeff can be weird about not having meat sometimes so I put out the left over chicken from Greta's burritos and everyone was satisfied.
I also added the option to put some refried beans on the corn taco shell before adding the filling.  
Yes, everyone's tacos broke.  That's just what they do.  That's why most taquerias sell tacos with two shells.

Thursday afternoon - Karen's Honey-Roasted Veggies and Gnocchi
I will say this one says serves 2-3 and we did have roasted corn on the cob with it, but there were four of us and we had leftovers.

Friday night - Boshamps
If you go here, definitely sit outside.  There is a beautiful view!
Beyond that I think our waitress ruined the rest.  She was in a bad mood for some reason or other, but she was pretty rude and I had enough of her pretty much as soon as we sat down.
Karen wasn't wild about her dish.  I actually really liked my salad.  Dad really liked his and Mom did too.  But I still walked out not liking the place because of the waitress.  Guess that's my fault for letting her get to me?

Saturday morning - Another broken egg and Bad ass Coffee
We put in our name for brunch and they said 55 minutes, which seems to be the norm Saturday mornings in Destin.  Karen & I borrowed the car to make a trip to Bad Ass Coffee, which most definitely did not disappoint!  They had tons of flavor combinations, didn't bat an eye at using my personal cup, the people were nice, and it had a good vibe.  Yay for detours.
karen's cup
Then we got back to another broken egg for a lovely brunch with a great waiter.  It was so good!  We ate more than enough to hold us over til dinner.

P.S. Week in family meals last year
2 years ago

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!