Skip to main content

Weekend Road Trip

Hey there!

How was your weekend?  Did you do anything fun?

I went to Missouri over the weekend and we honestly crammed so much stuff in to so little time, it's hard to believe it's already over.

However, if you're planning a weekend getaway...may I recommend Missouri?  Feel free to gather ideas below.


Friday we started out with the way any trip to St. Louis should begin:  The Cardinals!
(note:  we did briefly stop by the handmade fair at 13th and Washington, but I was nervous about getting to the game on time and getting one of the giveaways.  So nervous I saw Gus' Pretzels across the street from the stadium and made Karen go in to get the giveaway while I went to purchase some pretzels.  Yes, we all ended up getting the giveaway.)

We also walked across the street to Ballpark Village since it's brand new.  Bit more expensive than I would expect in St. Louis, but they have Bud Select and Bud Light Lime on draft...so there's that.  

Then we made our way to Flying Saucer, which is a chain, but they do have hundreds of drafts.

Saturday morning I got to run across the Eads Bridge.  
For some reason I enjoy running across bridges to other states.  I have only done it a few times - Cincinnati and Louisville - but I still love it.  
I also ran around the arch and downtown in general a bit.

Breakfast at The Mud House:  delicious, speedy, and adorable patio in the back.  Also very busy, but they handled the craziness well.
Coffee at Sump Coffee.  Karen kept us on track and informed us we needed to get our coffees to go (and she was a bit upset they didn't have any syrups), but the vibe in that place was amazing, we met the famous beard guy, and the coffee was delicious.  But let's be real, Karen's not a big coffee fan, Rubina & I loved ours.

Then we continued our trek down 55 to Ste. Genevieve.  
After visiting with my grandma (and receiving baked goods to go :) ) we had lunch with my parents at Sirros.  We had pizza and onion rings.  I'm a big fan of their pizza (I think it's the sauce), but when we walked out my friend, Rubina, said, "Those onion rings were amazing."

After our tour of Ste. Gen, we went on our way to the wineries.



At night we went back to St. Louis for the Muny.  I can honestly say something I don't think I've ever said before:  I was chilly at the Muny.  Usually it's so hot and humid you get comfortable when the show ends at 10pm.  Nope chilly.

Ted Drewes you just can't go wrong at this place.  Every time I order something there are 2 others I want at the same time.

And cue Sunday.  I went over to Forest Park to get in a lovely run and Karen & Mom went for a bike ride.  We both stuck to the perimeter and it was such a great path.  They had gatorade stations set-up and everything, just like Chicago.
I'd be happy running there all the time.

Brunch at Benton Park Café & Coffee Bar:  we had to wait a bit, but they had $4 mimosas and delicious food & coffee.
Pretzels from Gus' to go.  Yes, this was my second helping of Gus's in one weekend.
And, of course, we wrapped up the trip with a tour of Budweiser.  They've definitely made some changes to the tour since the last time I took it a year a half ago, but part of those changes includes adding an outdoor Biergarten, which is pretty lovely so you win some, you lose some.


Then we got back on our friend 55 to go back to Chicago.

Yes, our weekend was full, but it was pretty fantastic.

Looking for other ideas?
I love this video so much.
Here is St. Louis from Grain Inc. on Vimeo.

And there's also this article.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike