Skip to main content

latest in books




i finished The Devil in the White City 
by:  Erik Larson
What did I think?
I mentioned previously it was a little disturbing.  I stick with that statement.  Through the whole book for some reason I thought it used factual events, like the World's Fair in Chicago as a backdrop and he invented the rest.  The murders and such. 
Well.  Once I finished I realized it was ALL based on facts.  Including the murderer and everything.  Ugh.  
I would still say it was a good read, but I'm sure I made some entertaining faces for my bus buddies.
Did you know Shredded Wheat was invented for the World's Fair?



The Santaland Diaries
by:  David Sedaris
this was one of those that i laughed out loud on the bus.  many of my bus buddies looked and stared.  i don't blame them.  i only can hope they looked at what i was reading and read it themselves so they can join the club.

maybe one reason i enjoyed it so was because i applied to be an elf at macy's this year.  and i didn't get the job.  the sad thing is i was actually excited and thought it would be a fun job.  it ended for the best because i got to go home for a long thanksgiving (not possible as an elf) and i got a full-time job and i got to be home for christmas (also not possible as an elf).  
it's fun to read about his experiences and think about what it could have been like.
i did not like the letter at the end.  not at all.  i almost seemed out of place and it is it's own story.
i requested this book because me talk pretty one day was so wonderful (same author).  but i know he's know well for naked too so maybe i'll give that a try in the near future.





Something Borrowed
by:  Emily Giffin
someone told me how this book is coming out as a movie in may, i think.  you know how i am about seeing a movie before reading the book.  I don't like it one bit.  
i realize i probs won't see the movie in theaters at all and will probably wait until video anyway, but oh well.
my impressions:  it's super chicky and i'm loved it =)  
you know sometimes i need a break from the thoughtful books and just a fun, quick read.  this did the trick.  i'm going to request the other books in her series.  well...i'm not really sure it's a series, but nonetheless, her other books.
i will say because i don't think this will give anything away.  i did expect half of the ending with darcy, but not with rachel.


squirrel seeks chipmunk
by:  david sedaris
i honestly just realized right now it's by david sedaris.  wow.  i guess i am quite a fan, but this one is different.
if you keep your thinking cap on for this one, you are in for quite a read.  there are all sorts of underlying messages calling out what's going on in the world.  
if you just read it to read and don't think then i guess it could just be funny.
here's the view from npr






oh...biggest pet peeve of reading while commuting.  taking so long to turn the page.  oh gloves.  
sometimes i'll be turning the page so anxious to find out what happens and all i can do is think 'come on book.  i need to know what happens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!