Skip to main content

visit to MCA

i had a wonderful trip to the mca!  i'm determined to make good use of my free admission to museums this year.  and so far i'm beating everyone in my deptartment and i think i'm at 3:  art institute, shedd, and now the mca.


i read about jim nutt's exhibit and really wanted to make my way there (through may 29).  
this exhibit was super interesting.  but i don't know.  maybe not my cup of tea.  as Eric Lebofsky said "I couldn't reconcile the electricity of the line work, which bordered almost on obscenity..."  there's absolutely no doubt that the work is very creative.
i'm going to let you decide on this one.
i liked that they had his work displayed in order from when it was made so i could follow his progression.


i was so excited to check out the other exhibits though...


i checked out susan philipsz work on workers collectives and their struggles for proper working conditions and sufficient wages.  it's a sound installation and i really enjoyed it.  at first i was shocked with the darkness of the room and was a little afraid to move in further, but i absolutely did.  i started feeling the walls and stuff and thought i was going to feel a bench, but it was a speaker and i gasped a little.  don't worry, no one else was in the exhibit at the time.


the urban china:  informal cities exhibit was awesome.  come prepared to read.  it's text heavy, but it has so much information.  i didn't get to soak it all in, but i could see myself going back and going at it again (through april 3).  i especially liked that they asked questions and supplied paper for people to contribute their own ideas and post them for others to read.  they contributed to the exhibit, which i liked.
they mentioned a year without made in china by sara bongiorni and it's going on my library request list right now
very interesting exhibit.


i really liked the new artist exhibit.  
right now it's takeshi moro, pedestal for apology.  in short, he is enacting the traditional Japanese bow of apology.  there's a lot of underlying messages, but i'll let you look into it yourself.  i really liked this one.  even more after i read the explanation.




and my favorite:  Without You I'm Nothing
i actually went in this one first and decided i needed to save it for last because i knew i would love it.  
i especially loved the north room because it was all interactive.  
maybe my favorite was this listening station area.  it had cushions on the floor where you sit down, pick up some headphones and listen to some music.  i, of course, had to try each set of headphones to see if it was the same song so i moved from cushion to cushion.  but they talked about how in life we're in such close proximity with so many people, so many strangers, yet in our own worlds.  yep, i think that was my fav from the trip.
this room was SUPER interesting though.  
another was by burden. an etched piece with three million names representing the South Vietnamese people killed during the conflict, many of whom are unknown.  it's a statement about how the loss of vietnamese lives remain largely unrecognized by americans.




anyway that room was my FAVORITE!  it's there through may 1.


there was one piece by andy warhol and it made me want to see an exhibit by him.  badly.


i did feel a pang of jealousy when i read the floor plan that the 5th floor was the staff floor.  oh what i would give to not work underground...


i really enjoyed this trip and plan to make another trip there soon.  oh, i forgot to mention the beauty of the museum.  it's beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike