Skip to main content

Best Day of the Week

Today was already the best day of the week.
Not a big surprise, since it's Saturday.  But hang in there while I explain.

Today I volunteered and I just love those kids.

It's been a bit off for about the past month because many of the kids are in mandatory ISAT prep classes (yes, on Saturday) and there's so much going on that messes with the organization of the three Chicago Cares programs that usually occur at the elementary school.  (The other two programs were actually canceled for the last month and I think they start up again next time...)

I walk in expecting a bit of chaos and as soon as I sit down with the fellow volunteers and introduce myself one guy makes a sigh of relief and says, "oh good, Lisa, you're the regular."  
Me:  Yes  thinking I don't know this guy
Guy:  Yemsi (the regular program leader) had a doctor's appointment today and can't make it.  She said you would know how to run everything.

Cue me being the leader for the day.

We had more kids than usual.  We were in a different room.  We didn't know where the supplies were.  
But we figured all this out and had an amazing time together.

All the volunteers seemed to have a good time too.  It did make me laugh when one of the first time volunteers came over to me after drawing on the board with the kids and said, "They're drawing with chalk all over my clothes."  (in a sad voice)  Then we continued to chat and he said he likes it because it takes him back to childhood, etc.  Then he said, "but I learned to wear my worst clothes, nothing nice, so it doesn't get messed up."
I smiled, but really wanted to burst out laughing.

I should really start a kids say the darndest things category (my grandma would have loved that ;)
Kalib:  Danny, will you draw me a super hero?
Kevin:  You just called him Daddy.
Me:  No, he called him Danny because that is his name.
Danny:  Wow wow wow, hold on here, let's not get ahead of ourselves!

later

Kalib:  Danny, are you a man?
Danny:  I'm working on it.

Today I worked with kindergarden twins Kevin & Kalib and a fellow volunteer, Danny.  (We didn't have enough books, which happens sometimes, so we share.)  We read First the Egg and then made butterflies.
I took this picture for a project, which I'll explain Monday
But in all honestly, my favorite part of the day was when I saw Hector.
Hector was a regular last year, but only came to the first one this school year.  Hector & I always read together.  We were buddies.  I miss Hector a lot.
Last time I volunteered, I was feeling pretty down when I showed up at the school and I saw Hector at a distance walking down the hall (to ISAT prep).  Seriously, just that made me feel better.
Then today I walked right past him and he ran over to give me a hug.  I was able to say, "Hey, Hector!  How are you?" before he had to move on.  That hug meant more to me than anything.
Come back, Hector!
(I just realized Hector's famous on here.  I mentioned him here, here, herehere)

For some reason, every time I'm there as soon as the volunteers see me interact with a kid they ask, "Do you work with kids?"
Me:  I used to.
today the other volunteer said:  So you come here to get your fix?
I guess I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!