Skip to main content

Karen's 30

My big sister turned 30 yesterday!  And she had quite a celebration!

After she kept telling me all her (to me, outrageous) plans, I informed her it was over the top & too much.  She pretty much exactly said:  I like my birthday so suck it up.

It was a valid point.  And that's exactly what I tried to do.

Friday involved decorating her place while she was at work:

Yes, it's a Jewel cake, but she has a cake coming from my Grandma & let's be real:  nothing can beat Grandma's cakes.  Also, my sister's friend, Katie, who stayed with her Friday night, & Karen both raved about it and said it was delicious.  So point for Jewel.  (Yes, maybe the fact that they had pieces at 2 am may have had something to do with it, but they both swore it didn't.)

She made her way around Lakeview with her friend Katie from St. Louis Friday night and they had a great time.  Karen is even the one comfortable walking around now & warning people to wear their walking shoes.  I feel so proud, she's becoming a city dweller ;)

Saturday was the main party.  Two of her friends were nice enough to come in from St. Louis and two came in from the suburbs and a few of her new friends in Chicago came out too.  We definitely made our way around River North, which I don't remember the last time I went out there on a weekend.  Last Reunion Weekend, last October?

We started with drinks on the rooftop of the Wit after an amazing Uber ride over.  Seriously, that guy deserved 10 stars (you can only give 5).  The majority of the night we took the newish UberXL and it worked out perfectly.

Then we headed to Girl & the Goat for dinner.  Definitely a special events location, but they gave Karen some custard, pie, fruit, ice cream, amazing dessert and everyone agreed it was the best part of the meal.  So good!

We made our way back to River North to experience the somewhat new 3 dots & a dash, which was a bit challenging to locate and we had to wait in line for maybe 15 minutes, but once we were in, it was super cute.  The decorations they put in those drinks are amazing, to say the least.




We ended the night at Rockit for some dancing fun and Bud Lights. 


When Karen called me Sunday she says:  "It was the best birthday everrrrrrrrrr!  Ever!  It was a 10."

Sunday she had wanted me to do brunch with her, but decided she wanted me to come visit her instead.  So Sunday we ended out just hanging out.

Monday was the actual day so she took the day off work and met me after for dinner at Big Star.

top 5 of 29



So it's a success.

but not to worry...she still has a couple more celebrations lined up in the next month ;)
This girl likes her birthday.

P.S. My brother's 30th

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!