Skip to main content

Stamped Necklace

I decided to make myself a hand stamped necklace, based on this tutorial.  And in the end decided to give Karen one for part of her birthday gift too.

Only after I had all my supplies ready to go did I realize I was supposed to buy the letters to stamp the jewelry.  I was against the wire with time & didn't really want to invest in the letters so I was pretty bummed.

Me:  You're gift isn't going to be good.  I don't have something I need.
Karen:  Lisa, do you remember that stuffed animal you made me in middle school?  (Home Ec, 6th grade.)  You sewed the head on backwards and I still have it.

This is true, made me laugh, & brainstorm how I would approach the project.  (Note:  she was also trying to convince me to go get ice cream with her...so she did have motives too.)

So I mostly followed their notes, but I made my letters with a nail and hammer, instead of the stamping letters they suggest.  I just kept tapping the letters as I moved the nail along.  


The permanent marker part didn't really work because the little notches were tiny, but I kind-of like that it turned out more subtle, especially since I put my nickname for Karen on hers.  Mine says LAR, my initials.


I purchased the plait and jump for the plait from the site the tutorial suggested, but I was at a loss where to find a chain.  And I looked.  And I asked friends.  And I went so many places.  Until!  I was on Division to go to a baby store for my niece & nephew when I walked past Beadniks and thought...maybe...
They had chains I could purchase...lots of them!  I got to choose our chains and they cut them at your request so I was able to get the lengths I wanted.

Something I learned:  I then needed a clasp and two jumps.  She asked me if I needed these parts and I said no because I didn't realize what they were.  Luckily, it dawned on me while I was paying so I was able to add them on.  Then I just used my little tool kit to finish off the necklaces!

Nope, they didn't turn out like I envisioned, but I'm pretty in love with mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Veggie Tinga

I made Vegetarian Tinga for a mexican pot luck I went to on Tuesday.


Many people have never heard of Tinga, let alone knowing you can make it vegetarian style.  You absolutely can!  And it's so easy.


Traditional tinga is made of shredded chicken with chipotle flavoring.  I used cabbage instead of the chicken.


I looked at a lot of different recipes online, but couldn't find a recipe for the veggie tinga I had in mind, so I ended up combining the guidelines of those recipes and making my own.


Here's what I did:


1 onion
1 head of cabbage
1 7oz. can chipotle (the peppers in adobo sauce)
5 ish roma tomatoes
olive oil


-Saute onion in olive oil.
-Chop cabbage (I used youtube to help me figure out the best way to do that) add to onion and saute.
-Blend the chipotle and tomatoes in blender.
Note:  Some people only like to add the sauce from the chipotle peppers.  I added the entire can (including the peppers themselves).  It's up to you depending on how spicy you want it.  (I like my food s…

Registration

*Karen tells me that is not what I'm supposed to say, but it makes sense in my head...

Saturday I was in San Antonio for work, I did get to hang out with a friend while I was in town so that definitely made the trip better, combined with the fact that the volunteers there are just wonderful.

I knew Sunday was going to be overwhelming before I left on Friday.  I always write lists when I'm overwhelmed, I wrote a list.  (Even though I hardly referenced it on Sunday.)  Just writing it down helps me feel better.

Sunday we registered for at two places, starting at 9am.  When we finished the second one (which we were both dragging ourselves through) it felt like it was time for bed...it was 2pm.  Guys, this experience brought so much clarity to people's registerys.  I would not necessarily say it was a fun experience.  And I am very happy Mike seems to have a vision because we would limit the insane number of options down to a couple options together and then I would say I don'…

Moisturizer

I said when I turned 30 in January I was going to start using moisturizer.  Now, 6 months later, I can say I've kind of achieved the goal, but not really...

I have a moisturizer from several years ago, which I received as a Christmas gift.  I used it off and on over the years, mostly off.  I've probably used it more this year than ever before, granted the bar was very low.

I don't like it though.  I don't like the smell or really how it feels either.

Then I heard True Botanicals released a lower-priced Basics collection designed for younger skin, technically for people in their 20s, but whatever.  I decided to try their hydrating oil (the smallest one) to see if I am able to be consistent with use.

First impression: I'm still figuring out how much to use, but I love the smell.