Skip to main content

20 Miler

Saturday I completed one 20 miler for my marathon training.  (I'm trying to get in another next weekend.  I know I know, not how you're supposed to do it according to training plans, but you gotta do what you gotta do.)

This was one of those runs where I was on my way to the running path and had to reject the suggestion to just go sit at my favorite coffee shop and get a scone.  This was a mental one, I just had to get in the miles.

Most importantly, my knee didn't start screaming until mile 19.  Yes, then it became very difficult to run, but that's the latest it's flared up in this training cycle.  And, yes, a marathon is 26.2 miles, but I still have high hopes.

This is partly why:
#1 It is getting better.  
#2 Heading south I was ok in my shorts and T, but coming back north against the wind (already pretty tired), I was not focusing on my knee at all.  I was cold.  My muscles started tightening.  The last thing I was doing was checking-in on my knee to make sure it was loose, which I did the entire first half.

So this marathon training session has definitely been an uphill battle, which I honestly haven't taken very seriously so the marathon will probably be very interesting.  I'm going into it without a time goal at all.  Just going to run this one.  Or actually hope I can run this whole one because once my IT band flares up,  I honestly cannot run.

However, I have a story for you:
Mile 19
IT band yelling
(The last mile is always one of the worst anyway and this was at the extreme of that.)
I'm a half mile from home and I see there was a bike accident ahead of me.  Two bikes were down.  And this is why I love the running/biking culture in Chicago, as much as we annoy each other, we are there for each other.  
A legit biker (you can just tell) was in front of the accident, but must have heard it happen so he turned around to check everything out.  After asking the bikers if they were ok (they were) he started checking out their bikes to fix anything he could.
I kept going, but it warmed my heart (the only part of me that was warm at that moment). 

And I found out when I made my training calendar I marked the week before my marathon as my marathon.  So I've been training a week ahead and then I fell a week behind.  So actually come to find out I'm right on schedule ;)
This training season is a mess. 

I do appreciate having my marathon the weekend after the majority of the people training on the running path.  We're on opposite weeks.  Typically a marathon training schedule has you go further and then step back the next week, then further, then step back.  So I'm going further when they're stepping back and vice versa.  It makes the traffic a little bit lighter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!