Skip to main content

Fall Foods

It is officially fall.

I walked into Trader Joe's and was honestly overwhelmed by the number of pumpkin items.  The leaves have started falling.  I've started settling in a bit again and I can't stop the craft ideas from filling my head.  I'm feeling a bit more reflective.  I think I heard last year based on your natural cycle during the year, fall is the season it is most natural to us to reflect, set goals, etc.  Do you fall in this category?  I do.

One thing I can't deny is I start cooking more in the fall.  In the summer I can survive on tomato & mustard sandwiches.  In the fall I cook a lot of Indian food.  Or more specifically, Indian type dishes.  Lots of beans, lots of spices.

One dish I frequently make (and made my first one of the season last week) is Masoor Daal or Masoor Dal.  Dal or Daal is a hindi word meaning lentil and Masoor is the type of lentil. There are a billion types of lentils.

Here's the recipe I follow from my friend, Rubina:
half an onion - I like the red ones (use whichever you prefer)
1 slice of ginger (peeled) (slice is about an inch thick) - you can substitute 1tsp powder
1/4 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne (I usually add more - feel free to edit to taste)
1-2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 cup red lentils

Heat oil in pan, add onion, cook for a bit - I like my onions brownish.

Add cumin seeds. Wait till they stop popping (takes about 15-30 seconds)

Add the lentils and immediately cover in 1 inch of water. After the water has been added, throw in the cumin, the piece of ginger or the ginger powder, turmeric, salt and cayenne.

After it boils, simmer until the lentils are cooked (i.e. no longer crunchy).

I like to throw in a diced tomato (can of diced tomatoes on exceptionally lazy days) cause tomatoes are good for you and also it makes it a super-food dish. (Proteins + tomatoes) Alternatively I throw in a bunch of spinach (no particular amount).

Even though this is "spice-light" meal for indian food it does require a fair number of spices. You could skip some I'm sure but the dish would be a lot less flavorful and lot less good for you. 
Here's what the lentils look like cooked: source.

There are a variety of variations on the internet. Look for "Masoor Daal recipe" or "Masoor Dal recipe" on google. (Dal or Daal is a hindi word meaning lentil and Masoor is the type of lentil. There are a billion types of lentils.) Now you know more than you ever need to in order to make a simple lentil recipe.
Now you have a delicious Masoor Dal recipe and a little idea why I like Rubina so much :)

I will say it's super delicious (and, yes, better if you don't leave any spices out) and super easy!  Win, win!

I also find myself cooking a lot of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), adding onion, peas, tomatoes, some sort-of veggie variation, and I use the amazing spice boxes they sell in Indian grocery stores for 99¢.  They are amazing.

P.S. A lot of credit goes to my friend, Rubina, for introducing me to Indian food and giving me the confidence to experiment with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!