Skip to main content

Holy Hills - Marathon #5

After running a marathon yesterday in St. Louis, my main piece of advice:  if you run a marathon that's 80% hills, may I recommend maybe incorporating some hills in your training.  
I did not do this.
This is definitely the hardest course I've run.

The race had every combination you can think of.  Marathon, half-marathon, 5K and relay half-marathon. I decided to run the marathon & my sister, Karen, ran the half-marathon.
I am so proud of Karen.  Before this training she hadn't run over a 5K and she did the training and finished her 13.1 super solid!
start line:  6am
And the hills didn't seem to stop.  I can't tell you how many times in the last 2 miles some spectator said it's all downhill from here and then I saw another hill to run up.  (At least four times.)  I stopped believing them.  (I know they were just helping with the mind games we were all playing with ourselves at that point.  I don't blame them.)
Once I got to the last stretch to the finish (which was flat) I guess my eyes lit up when I saw it (since I was no longer believing anyone and trying to count down the blocks ahead instead).  A spectator said, "Now you can hear it."  I looked at him and said, "Now I can see it!"  He laughed.

The finish was confusing to me.  First they had the overhead photographer people, which if you've run the Chicago marathon they usually have around Chinatown & it sort-of looked like a finish so I was like, 'wait, am I done?'  Nope.  Then they had a guy who gave you five and then since I was alone he announced my name.  I thought that was the finish.  Nope.  Then I saw what must be it.  While the guy announced my name, I zeroed in on the finish & something pulled me out of my zone to hear Karen and her friends cheering for me super loud!  I glanced over to smile and the intercom guy says "look at her smiling."  Let's be clear, it was because I saw people I knew and they drew me out of my zone.  Apparently they were yelling for me a while and Katie, my sister's friend, looked at Karen and said, "She's not even going to hear us."

This should demonstrate the story:
 Finish, finish, finish | (2 seconds later) oh look it's karen + friends

This race was definitely geared towards the half-marathon with probably less than 1/4 of the runners completing the full, but it made the second half pretty peaceful.

Did you know you're supposed to work 30% more running up hills.  I worked hard in that marathon!

At one point I saw a street sign for Holly Hills, but in my delusional state of mind I read Holy Hills and since the entire run I was thinking of titles along those lines for this run, I thought, 'that's appropriate.'  Then I realized I read it wrong.

I went through the typical:  I hate this, I want to call Mom & Dad to come pick me up (good thing I don't run with my phone), I can't do this, I'm in so much pain.  But I did it!  Personally mile 18 on are always pretty terrible, but this one...whew.

I got to mile 25 and saw Mom & Dad.  It was exactly what I needed.  I stopped quickly and said how much pain I was in.  (I was getting ready to walk again before I saw them and they gave me the push I needed to pretend I was not in pain and to keep going.)  They also made a friend they were standing with who, get this, has run 178 marathons.  Yes, you read that right.  He ran with me for a few blocks to distract me.  And I couldn't be more grateful.
the best

I saw Karen's friends' Katie & Eric and their son Sam around mile 8 or 9.  We had amazing fans!!!!  The fans weren't in numbers like Chicago, but I kind-of liked how low-key it was.  I talked to more runners during the race than I ever have before.  It was just a friendly atmosphere.

After the race Karen & I were meeting with Mom & Dad and they were a block away and walking past.  Usually in this situation I would run over to them.  Considering I could not move, I just started yelling their names.  Everyone else looked at me and eventually they did too. 

4:43  I'll take it.  
My PR is 3:54 to give you a frame of reference.

On the ride back to Chicago:
Me:  So you think you'll do another one.  
Karen:  Nope.  I think I'll run further on my runs, but I never need to run 13 miles again.
objects in mirror closer than they appear

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!